Sunday 22 October 2017

Second Week of Lecture of BSM3101 with Dr. Parames

For the second week, by right I should have watched the video titled "Endless Form Most Beautiful". And I did. This video is actually a lecture video given by Dr. Sean B. Carroll,a Howard Hughes Medical Institute investigator at the university of Wisconsin, Madison. In this video, the speaker told us about the early Darwin's theory about evolution. How was Darwin developed the theory, how can he do so, what makes him justify his theory and tell people about it. By watching this video, I learned a lot about evolution. I enriched my knowledge about what had happened around us, how does the early species survive and a lot more. Although the  video is quite long, but then it benefits me because  I gained a lot of new and interesting information from the video.

We were also asked to watch another video titled "Selection in Action". This is also a lecture video conveyed by Dr Peter Bruns. This video basically telling us about natural selection and artificial selection. Natural selection is a natural occurrence among the species that favors on certain physical characteristics. No human intervention during natural selection. Whereas artificial selection is man-made processing. It means that human purposely select the species and change their genes in order to get a better species. I am quite impressed with these occurrence because nature is actually taking approximately 1 billion years to make natural selection and it still occurs until now. Scientist and breeders are actually contribute a lot on artificial selection. Many species that we saw today, their genes are not the original one, they have evolved from one generation to another and became what they are now. Surprisingly, I only knew that the great 'rafflesia', its ancestor has linked with rubber tree. As for me it is super weird and impossible because by looking at their physical appearances they don't seem like they have similarities on genes but then it is proven that they do. I laughed when Dr Parames told us about these new fact. All in all, it's a good thing to know about evolution. It has somehow changed my perception on evolution a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment